Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas markets!

Today we decided to go to the Bamberg Christmas market since this is our last Christmas in Germany, we want to take advantage of all the markets over here. The drive to Bamberg is about an hour or so which Layla slept for most of which was nice. We got there and found the market right away. It was much smaller than Nuremberg but was very cute and all in one little square. As soon as we got there Ed had to buy his favorite candy, roasted peanuts. I thought Layla would want something too but she was a total grouch (she doesn't nap very well) so she just sat in her stroller. As I was pushing her some German lady started talking to me and laughing at Layla. I, of course, had no idea what she was saying but as soon as I looked at her I started laughing too. Her beanie was over her eyes and she just sat there like she was paralyzed. It was hilarious! We walked around a bit more and then stopped to get a snack. Because of Shelby I decided to try a dampfnudeln and Ed got a couple of waffles. It was a very yummy snack! Then across from the market we spotted a toy store. We decided to go in and look around and get warm; we were hoping it would chipper Layla up. It did the trick and Layla found a toy that she had to have, a carton of 6 wooden eggs. She loves them! Then we walked around for a bit more and had lunch (mushrooms with garlic sauce and a steak sandwich, Layla had fries) and decided to head back to the car and drive home.
While we were heading back to Grafenwoehr Ed said that the Bayreuth Christmas market was on the way home and about half way between Bamberg and Grafenwoehr. So we decided to break up the trip and go to that one too. Well that one was gorgeous! I am so happy we decided to stop at it. We parked the car in an underground garage and when we started walking, we ended up in this huge, beautiful indoor mall. It felt like we were back in America. There was a Christmas puppet show going on and there were so many Christmas displays, it was just beautiful. We had to walk through the mall to get to the Christmas market and the market was huge! It was so Christmasy too, it had Christmas trees every where you looked, ice sculptures, carolers, a huge nativity scene and beautiful lights. We pretty much just walked around for a bit and got our bratwurst (which Layla stole the entire thing from me!) and pretzel. I found this pretty wreath that I had to have and it smells so good! That was my big purchase of the day! So after eating and walking around for a bit we were getting cold and wanted to get back to check the mail (thanks for the presents both Grandmas and Grandpas). We had such an awesome day, one we will definitely remember when we're out of Germany!

2 comments:

The Songy Clan said...

I really love those wooden booths there at the second one! I'm jealous, that is a place I'd like to visit one day!

The Collins Family said...

I hope you enjoyed our little market. It's not much, but it has all you need LOL. I never made it to Bayreuth...I honestly didn't know they did a Christmasmarkt...I'll have to go next year!!!