Monday, May 30, 2011

A nice summer day!

One of the things I miss so much about Germany is their awesome festivals. They always have the best games, food, shopping and activities. Now that I am in Colorado and I hear about festivals, I am all about going and checking them out, hoping they will be half as good as the ones in Germany. This weekend in Old Town Colorado were Territory Days so I made Ed go with me to check it out. It was ok, yes, just ok. Nothing like the ones I am used to and miss so much but it was definitely worth checking out. Layla's favorite part hands down was mining for gold. Her and Ed had so much fun. They got a little jar and filled it up with tons of colored rocks they found. No gold but pretty colored rocks are even better anyway! My favorite part was definitely the food. We got some amazing chili cheese covered fries, they were to die for. If you haven't realized by now, I am a total junk food lover. Anything fattening and covered in grease is my best friend and these chili cheese fries fit the bill. YUM! After Territory Days it was time to hit up Cave of the Winds. I had signed up to be a Secret Shopper so we got free tickets to get in which is probably the only reason we ended up going anyway. Free is good. We went on the Discovery Tour which the website describes as "On our most popular tour, you’ll wind your way through nearly a mile of Colorado caverns, including the Majestic Hall, the Bridal Chamber and the Temple of Silence. You’ll duck under Fat Man’s Misery, marvel at geological formations like the Giant’s Bleeding Heart, and experience total cave darkness. Join us on a Discovery Tour to explore the wonders of the underground – at the top of a mountain!" We've been to caves in Texas and Germany and I'm not going to lie, this cave was the least impressive of the bunch. Still a neat attraction to visit but I won't be going back again. Layla and Ed found more mining too, this time for gems! Like I said, it was neat to see once and the view from up top on the mountain was breathtaking. Once we got home and realized the weather was still awesome it was time for some Slip N' Slide in the backyard. Ed and Layla rocked it too! We had a great day exploring Colorado Springs, taking total advantage of where we live, don't want to regret not seeing things while we're here.

1 comment:

c_gifford said...

Looks like fun! You always find awesome things to do. You'll have to share with me where you find all this stuff :) We finally made it to the Springs and close on our house on Monday. We should get together sometime this summer! Sorry to hear about Ed leaving. It seems like he just got back.

Cheala (from AWW)