Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Warrior Games

Ed came home from work telling me about the Warrior Games and that he really wanted to go watch the basketball game. Army vs Marines! I'm not a basketball fan but Ed seemed very adamant about going so of course Layla and I followed. When we got there I was completely amazed. "The 2011 Warrior Games presented by Deloitte hosted 198 wounded, ill and injured men and women from all branches of the Armed Forces. New to the event this year, a team of athletes from Special Operations Command also took part. Seven sports were contested throughout the week, including track & field, archery, shooting, swimming, cycling, sitting volleyball and wheelchair basketball."

I couldn't tear my eyes away the from the game for more than two seconds. These men and women were so inspiring, they are real heros. I was honored to be able to sit in the audience and watch these guys play. They have been through so much and still continue to follow their dreams and do the things they love to do, even with the injuries they have and the difficulties they face every day. Ed's whole company was there to cheer the Army on and ended up winning! GOLD for the Army! I cannot wait until next year to attend the Warrior Games again, if any of you reading are in Colorado Springs I highly suggest coming to a game or two. Seeing their courage will leave you speechless, I promise.

No comments: