Saturday, June 26, 2010

Our week in San Diego - Part 1

Wow, what a wonderful week it has been, I didn't want it to end. Layla and I had such a good time in San Diego with friends and family. My mom had been planning a trip for us (her, my brother, his kids, Layla and I) for a few months now for the 22-25th so when Jessica called me and told me she wanted to go to the beach for her birthday (HAPPY 25th BIRTHDAY, JESSICA) on the 21st, I was all for it. Hey, the more time at the beach the better. Jessica and I decided we would go up with the kids on the 21st and she would drop me off with my mom on the 22nd. It worked out PERFECT! I couldn't have asked for a better vacation (well, minus the sunburn on the first day. And minus breaking my Nikon D60! Don't even get me started on that one, it still hurts too much to talk about). Jessica, Ana, and Sarah came and got Layla and I around 8am on Monday so we could start our beach journey. The girls just love each other and were so happy to be able to sit next to each other on the car ride there. Layla read Ana books, they would throw a blanket over their heads and just laugh and laugh under it, they shared food and drinks, and just had a good time in the car. After a couple stops for food and potty breaks, we got to Ocean Beach at around 11am. It was freezing cold (well, I thought so anyway, I guess I have acclimated back to the desert heat) but the kids and Jessica ran to the water and jumped right in. I was back on the towel taking it all in and basking in the sun, hoping to warm up. We spent about 4 hours at the beach and had a great time. Ana even knocked out and took a good nap while we were there. It was such a blast! It was then time to check into our hotel so we headed up that way so we could take showers and get ready for a night on the town (okay, not really, we were all ready for bed by 8. But, we did have to get ready for a nice dinner). After we were sand free and starving, we headed over to Old Town to go to the best Mexican restaurant ever! They even make tortillas fresh right in the front window so while you're waiting you can watch, the girls thought it was pretty neat. And of course Jessica and I found something to entertain ourselves with... MUSTACHES! The next morning we woke up bright and early and headed to Coronado, I don't think it gets much better than this! They have this great park right next to the water where the kids got to play at and then we had a nice walk and found bicycles! Okay, these things are so much fun and totally one of my favorite things to do. Not only do I get a work out (trust me, you get a GOOD workout), but the kids have a blast! We rode the bike over to the water when it was low tide and explored. Jessica and I were turning over all the big rocks so the girls could see all the little crabs everywhere. Layla, of course, wanted to hold (and then keep) all of the crabs that we found. After we turned the bicycles back in, it was pizza time and then we had to get in a little more beach time before Jessica had to leave us. It was time for our vacation with the girls to end and time for our family vacation to start! Jessica dropped Layla and I (and alllll of our luggage because hello, I stayed there for a week, you better believe I over packed) off at Del Coronado where we met my mom, my brother, Chloe, and Jaydan! We were sad that Jessica had to leave but happy we got a few more days at the beach.
To be continued...

No comments: