Monday, June 14, 2010

I scream, you scream...

We all scream for ICE CREAM!

Today was officially our first day of summer vacation since Layla would normally be in school on a Monday so I had some fun stuff planed for us to do. Everything was ice cream themed and we had a lot of fun. Such a good start to the day doing fun activities with Layla, definitely turned my frown upside down (I was having a bad morning). We started out the day with a little nature walk with our colored ice cream cones. I had painted the bottom of each ice cream cone with a different color and as we walked around outside we found different things that matched the color of the cone. Our little ice cream cone garden. After that it was time for some sight word building, ice cream style. I had gotten a piece of paper, glued on an ice cream cone, added a sight word at the top and had ice cream "scoop" stickers with letters on them. Layla and I would sound out the word together and then she would build the ice cream cone, matching the sight word at the top of the page. I like ice cream. Yes I do!
One scoop for me?
No! Make it two!
Hmmm two scoops of ice cream,
I want more
How about three?
No, make that four!
1, 2, 3, 4,
Splat! "oh no! It's on the floor!"

Next up was our craft for the day, making banana splits! I had pre cut out bananas, strawberry ice cream scoops, orange sherbert scoops, chocolate scoops, used cotton balls as whipped cream, sequins for cherries, and beads for sprinkles. Then Layla was free to make whatever kind of banana split she wanted. She ended up making 3 different ones, I'm sure we'll be handing them out to family members. LOL And lastly was our ice cream number building. Same concept as the sight word building but this time Layla had to build the ice cream cone up in numerical order. You can't have an ice cream themed day and not get an ice cream cone. Layla happily munched on her favorite, Rocky Road ice cream as she relaxed and watched some TV. So funny how one little ice cream cone can make such a huge mess!

2 comments:

Erin@The Phillips Fam said...

Very cute ideas Michelle. Sounds like a fun time for Layla!

The Songy Clan said...

oh wow, Michelle, you are such a creative mamma! So cute!