Saturday, January 30, 2010

VFW

The other day my mom was reading the newspaper and found an article that she thought I would be interested in. The VFW (Veterans of Foreign War) were hiring a local photographer to take pictures of family members with deployed spouses for free for Valentine's Day. You know me and pictures, I was all over it. The shoot was at St. Margaret's church in Palm Desert, they had it set up so cute. There were two different back drops, one black and one white, with hearts and flowers on them. As soon as I got there, I felt welcome. There were other military spouses there and a lady from the VFW and they were so sweet. They talked and talked about military life and how thankful they were to have Ed serving this country. Living in the desert, I don't get a lot of that so it was nice to be around people who understood what I was going through and were thankful for what Ed and I have to go through. The photographer took quite a few pictures of Layla and I and when it was time for Layla to have pictures done of just her, she wouldn't have it. But she still got a few good ones of her anyway. After pictures were done, they had a table set up so Layla could make/color daddy a Valentine card and also have a little snack. I can't even describe how I felt when I was there, it was like I was home, around people who truly understood and could sympathize with my situation. As soon as we walked away to leave I couldn't help but cry. A whole year has gone by without Ed and these were the sweetest people who just made me feel normal. They also handed me a card when I left and when I got to the car to read it, it said: "Dear Military family member, I want to thank you for the sacrifice you have made to preserve our nation's freedom. Your long nights, lonely days, times of fear, hours of worry and seasons of stress are not unnoticed by those of us who enjoy freedom. Thank you!" If I wasn't crying before reading that, I sure was now! Ed loves his job and what he does, I don't expect everyone to understand but it's nice to get a thank you every once in awhile.

2 comments:

Erin@The Phillips Fam said...

Beautiful photos! Y'all look gorgeous! That's so awesome you were finally around people who understood. I'm so glad they had that going on for y'all, and I can't wait for y'all to be reunited with Ed!!!

Amanda Flores said...

Your guys pictures are soo cute! I love how there is another little Belle out there who won't allow other to take pictures of her:) Thats so neat what they put on for all of you guys!! You are a STRONG WOMAN! Im so thankful for people like you guys! Love ya!!