Monday, November 17, 2008

Back from our marriage retreat...

And it was awesome! We had such a blast this weekend, I wish it would have lasted longer, I did not want to come home. We left Friday morning to Edelweiss which is in Garmisch, Germany and got there around 1pm. We checked in and then headed to Pizza Hut which was right around the corner. In Mainz we always ate at Pizza Hut because it was so close but since moving to Graf we haven't had it and it tasted so yummy! After that we decided to just go back to the hotel and relax. It was so nice to be in an American hotel for once! Right before dinner Ed and Layla went swimming in the pool and had a blast. He was dunking her head under and she would come up laughing. She even put her head in the water by herself so I know she is ready to swim. After that we headed to the other post where the CDC and PX were. We ate Subway and then dropped Layla off at daycare since we had a conference that night. I was so nervous to leave my baby there, I had a really hard time. When we got there I had to drop her off in the two year old room and all her friends were in the 3+ room. So was standing there looking sad all by herself. I started crying when we left her because I was so sad they just wouldn't put her with the other kids that she knew. Later when we went to pick her up and was with everyone else though, so I was happy about that. Our first conference was so much fun and we learned a lot, it was only an hour and a half though. We learned about ours and our spouses personalities and what love language they spoke. It really makes you think about things differently when you see it from a different perspective. I ended up being a lion and Ed ended up being an otter. We were laughing and said that Layla is growing up into a lion so poor Ed, the otter, is going to have to live with two lions his whole life. After the conference was over we raced to pick up Layla and headed to bed. Ed had a guys night that night and had a lot of fun too!
The next day we had our conference bright and early at 9am and it was a three hour one. We ate breakfast and then dropped off Layla and daycare. Once again, the conference was a blast. We did lots of activities and just had a great time with everyone. It was totally worth it! After that we had about an hour or so before we had to pick up Layla so Ed and I went and had lunch alone. Wow, that was weird. We haven't eaten a meal alone in forever, it was really nice though. Layla had a blast with her friends at daycare but when we went to pick her up she was bawling. Apparently once the other parents started showing up and not us, she freaked out a bit. After we got her we got in the car and headed over to Neuschwanstein castle. The Disney castle was made after this castle so I really wanted to see it. It was beautiful! We took a horse carriage up the mountain to reach it because it was a far walk! While we were up there we did lots of exploring and then found some yummy doughnuts to eat on the way down. We didn't spend a ton of time there, I mostly just wanted to see the outside of it. The view from up there was breathtaking though, the mountains in that area are just gorgeous, especially the ones covered in snow. When we got back to the hotel Ed made reservations at a steak restaurant inside the hotel and then he and Layla went swimming some more right before dinner. The restaurant was so good, like amazingly good! It was pretty expensive but so worth it. Eating at an American restaurant after so long just made it even better. After that Ed and Layla dropped me off with the girls so I could have a girls night out and they went to bed. I had lots of fun just drinking wine by the fireplace and chatting with the girls. I was ready for bed by 11pm though!
The next morning Layla woke us up about 9am and her and Ed went swimming while I stayed up stairs and packed and got ready. We left and got McDonald's for breakfast! We had such an amazing time, it was really nice to just relax and not rush around to try to see everything in the area. I would go back again in a heartbeat!

1 comment:

The Songy Clan said...

awww I'm so glad you had fun. I hadn't realized you'd not been there before. I remember that matt and I loved the feeling of an american hotel too. It was awesome!