Thursday, October 23, 2008

Our new pets!

Actually, to be specific, our 30 new pets! The last week or so, whenever the sun would come out (which was hardly ever because we've been getting a ton of rain) there would be tons and tons of ladybugs on our balcony screen. Layla and I have been going out on the balcony everyday when they're out there and just watch them and touch them and let them crawl on our hands. Well the other day I noticed they were out there again so I grabbed one and took it to Layla (she was in her bedroom) and then came back into the living room. I go in to check on her a few minutes later and she had put the ladybug in a rubbermaid container with a piece of candy and she told me the "ladybug was eating dinner." It made me laugh but I explained to her that ladybugs don't eat candy. So we went outside and collected a whole bunch of leaves and sticks for it and over the next couple of days collected around 30 ladybugs to keep as our new pets. I read up on them and they hibernate this time of year and to just make sure they have water and some food (raisins or apples) and they'll be ready to fly away in the spring time. So there you have it, we have about 30 new pets until spring. Layla loves them and has been taking them everywhere with her, even pushing them in the stroller to take them for a walk. Maybe she's ready for a cat?

1 comment:

The Songy Clan said...

holy cow, Michelle that is alot of ladybugs which means you have a lot of luck!!!