Saturday, October 16, 2010

Pickle Picking

Obviously we weren't picking pickles (try saying that 5 times) but that's what Ed told Layla the whole way to the farm. We went to Happy Apple Farm in Penrose, CO which was only about 30 miles away. Layla has been so excited to go to a pumpkin patch, we go every year so as soon as Halloween decorations come out, she knows the farm is coming soon. Now that we have our pumpkins she'll be bugging me about Trick or Treating for the next 2 weeks. We had a good time, although I was a little disappointed in the pumpkin picking. Last year we went to Oak Glen and Yucaipa which were both really green and pretty and had lots of pumpkins to choose from and previous to that we were in Germany where the pumpkin patches were on a sort of "honor" system. There were vines and vines of gorgeous pumpkins and when you were done picking them you put money into a little box. No one was there making you weigh anything or charging outrageous prices per pound (the pumpkin patch in Bischofsheim, Germany was the neatest thing ever!). At Happy Apple the vines were all dead and ugly, there was no green any where, and the pumpkins were very few and far between. In fact, at one point when we were looking for a pumpkin, Ed picked one up and told me "Babe, I don't think this pumpkin patch is legit. This one has a sticker on it that says Pueblo, CO!" Not only was that hilarious but it was TRUE! We had a good laugh about that one. This picture sums up my life perfectly. Ed has always been a goof which is why when I tell him I want to take a picture of him and Layla he automatically points to a pumpkin and gives me this look. Layla is following in his footsteps and half the pictures I get of her now are goofy faces, especially the ones of her and Daddy together. Ed's creating a little goofy monster! And here is my little Chunk and I with our 57 lbs. of pumpkins! I think we got some good ones, Ed better be ready to carve them because everyone knows I'm not a huge help when it comes to carving. All in all we had a really good time even though I was slightly disappointed. We went for pumpkins and that's what we got so ultimately that's all that matters. Layla was a happy little girl and is so anxious to carve them with her Daddy!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Sorry that patch wasn't all that great. Have you ever heard of Venetucci Farms in the Springs? To me its in Fountain but I think their address is listed as the Springs. I went there for years while my dad was stationed at Carson. I can't believe how big Layla is getting.

Al's Girl said...

Love the story!! The pumpkin patches here are "not legit" either - I don't like it. I can't believe they make you pay by the pound there - wow! Layla is adorable as always! <3