Thursday, January 13, 2011

What we've been up to the first part January

Hello 2011! I'm not too sure how excited I am for this year to come. Knowing that Ed is deploying in May/June for a year makes me kind of dread 2011. I'm sure that there will be lots of good things to come this year as well but just knowing that Ed won't be here for them makes me sad. I guess I'll just have to see how everything plays out, who knows, maybe some good, unexpected things will happen for us that'll make the year even better. Here's hoping! We rang in the New Year the best way possible, with great friends. It was a very low key New Years but also very fun and one we'll never forget. Drinking and dancing! What more could you ask for?Ed left on the 2nd for a couple of months for some school in Texarkana which is on the border of Texas and Arkansas, sounds like a wonderful place, right? The first day Ed was there he called to tell me what an awful place it was, I could have guessed that just by the name. Every night before Layla goes to bed he calls to tell her goodnight. We always read Layla 2 books before bed so I put him on speaker phone so he could read with us. There are some books we know very well so he already knows them by memory, we tend to pick those to read when he is on speaker phone with us. Layla thinks it's so funny that he reads to her even when he isn't physically here with us. We even make him talk to Boots! It's amazing how much fun we can have by pretending my phone is actually Daddy!My friend Heather and I took our kiddos to explore Focus on the Family. In case you haven't heard of Focus on the family, it is a global Christian ministry dedicated to helping families thrive. Through their radio broadcasts, websites, simulcasts, conferences, interactive forums, magazines, books, counseling and much more, Focus on the Family equips parents, children and spouses to thrive in an ever-changing, ever-more-complicated world. They have the cutest playrooms too which are totally free to explore and let the kids play in. For the older kids they even have a mock radio station where they can record their own shows and take a copy of it home. It's so cool! And of course we had to hit up the old fashioned Soda Shoppe for some nachos and ice cream. It was a super fun day. And last but not least, we got our first BIG snow storm of the winter. It was only a few inches but plenty for Layla to play in and enough to make me not want to drive anywhere. Layla and I stayed in the house and I made homemade chicken soup for dinner, it was a perfect winter day.

1 comment:

Margaux Achee said...

Is that Mr.Squeeky laying behind Layla?;) Ed is such a good daddy! I love how much info you give on things like focus on the family....they offer so much.